Australian Consulate-General
Chennai, India

General FAQs

Are you applying for your first adult or child passport?

If you are applying for your first adult passport or a child’s first passport, you must lodge your Australian passport application in person at your nearest Australian Consulate or High Commission. See Full passport application

If you are in Southern India (Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka or Pondichery) your nearest passport office is the Australian Consulate General in Chennai.

Passports Services are by appointment only. Make an appointment on our online booking page.  

For general enquiries, contact us.

How do I pay for the passport?

Please refer to current fees.

For a passport application – there are two charges -  ‘Issue of the Australia Passport’ plus the ‘Overseas Processing Surcharge’.

Payment can be made by bank transfer, cash, or card. If paying by cash, please bring the exact change.

For mailed in applications - On receipt of your complete application, we will call and share a link with you through email to make payment.

Who can act as my guarantor if I am overseas?

See page on Guarantors

When will I get my passport?

Passports will take a minimum of 25 working days to process from payment to delivery. The priority processing service is not available in India. If you need a passport urgently, please contact us.

It is a good idea to plan the replacement of a passport well ahead of the expiry date and, if you need to travel, ensure you have sufficient time to replace passports and visas where needed.   Remember that some countries require that passports have at least six months’ validity to permit entry or issue a visa.


Do I need to apply if I'm not planning to travel?

In India, it is a requirement that you always hold a valid passport. Therefore, it is best that you renew your passport if the validity is close to or less than 6 months, even if you do not plan on travelling.

What happens if my passport expires before renewal?

An expired passport can be renewed in the same way as a valid passport.

What if I need to travel unexpectedly due to an emergency?

Please  contact us for advice on applying for an emergency passport.  We can generally issue an emergency passport within 2 working days.

Do I have to replace my temporary/emergency passport in person at your office?

Yes.  If you are issued with a temporary or emergency passport, you must lodge a new application using the Application form for an Australian Passport Overseas in person at one of our offices. 

For child applications, the application must be lodged at an office in the country where the child is physically located by one parent. 

Can I apply for a passport for a child born through surrogacy?

Please see Surrogacy | Australian Passport Office ( for further information.

The Indian Government has revised its rules for Australians undertaking travel to India for the purpose of surrogacy. See our International Surrogacy bulletin for further information.

Can I travel with a passport that has less than 6months validity?

Some countries won’t let you enter unless your passport is valid for six months. Some airlines also impose this rule on their own initiative. It can apply even if you’re just transiting or stopping over. Some foreign governments and airlines apply the rule inconsistently. You can receive conflicting advice from different sources. Getting it wrong can mean being stranded.

If your passport is less than 6 months, it is best to get it renewed prior to your travel.