Australian Consulate-General
Chennai, India

Consular Services

Services for Australians

Consular Services

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provides help to Australians who find themselves in trouble overseas. This support is known as consular services.

If you require consular assistance while in India you can contact the Australian Consulate-General in Chennai, the Australian High Commission in New Delhi or the Australian Consulate-General in Mumbai on the numbers given below.

In Chennai, consular services are provided on weekdays between, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, excluding public holidays. To book an appointment with the consular officer, please contact + 91 44 4592 1300 or email [email protected]

In New Delhi, please see their website.

In Mumbai, please see their website

  • DFAT also provides Australians with emergency consular services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can contact the Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 within Australia or +61 2 6261 3305 from outside Australia or SMS +61 421 269 080.

    •  If you are overseas, you can be connected to the Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) or given a reverse-charge number to call by telephoning the Australian diplomatic mission in the country you are visiting.

    • The CEC can also assist concerned family members in Australia and can be contacted for information and advice.

Assisting Australians overseas 

Please view the Consular Services Charter which outlines consular services and assistance provided by the Australian Government. There will be circumstances in which our ability to provide consular support may be limited.

Where can I find a lawyer in India?

We can email you a list of English-speaking lawyers in the South of India on request. If you need a lawyer in Australia please see or

Where can I find a local doctor or dentist in India?

We can email you a list of doctors and medical service providers on request. This list includes providers only in the Southern Consular District. Separate doctor lists for other areas in India are maintained by the Australian Consulates in Mumbai and the High Commission in Delhi.

Travel Advice

Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address - straight to your inbox.

You can now also subscribe to the new SMS service - by supplying your mobile number - to receive critical alerts in the event of a crisis overseas.

In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.

Visit to subscribe or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.

As always, we encourage Australians overseas to stay in touch with friends and family and let them know you’re safe.

The travel advice for India can be accessed at India Travel Advice & Safety | Smartraveller

Living in India

How do I get a replacement Australian drivers licence?

The renewal of Australian drivers’ licences is handled by the various State and Territory authorities. The High Commission does not issue or renew drivers’ licences and can only assist with the witnessing and certifying of documents if required. For further questions, or to obtain the relevant documentation for renewing your licence, please contact the transport office in the relevant Australian State or Territory.

What benefits or payments am I entitled to as a former Australian Resident?

See the Australian Government Benefits and Payments website.

How do I obtain a police clearance or certificate of good conduct?

See the Australian Federal Police website.

Can I vote in Australian elections while overseas?

For current information on Australian elections, enrolment procedures and voting whilst overseas, visit the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website at or contact the AEC via email ([email protected]) or telephone (+61 2 6273 8606).

I’m having difficulties with my business. Can the High Commission assist with my dispute?

The High Commission cannot act as a legal representative or give legal advice. All legal disputes must be resolved through the Indian legal system. Contact us by email to request a copy of the list of English speaking lawyers in Southern India.

How can I verify if an Australian job offer is genuine?

The High Commission does not have any procedure in place to confirm whether a job offer made from Australia is legitimate. You may wish to contact the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission at  to get any details about the job offers made to you.

Please note we are aware of a number of hoax employment opportunities requesting funds be transferred into bank accounts for visa processing, employment related costs and/or to setup local bank accounts in Australia to meet visa issuance requirements. At no stage will the Australian High Commission, nor any staff of the High Commission, request any payment or charge any fees to assist with visa processing or employment opportunities in Australia.

If you have concerns about the validity of an employment offer, please refer to the information regarding potential visa scams, including various warning signs, which is available on the Australian High Commission New Delhi website: Visa and Migration Scams (

Please refer to some prevention tips below:
- Do not make any payments in relation to an employment offer.                                                                                                                                                            
- Do not disclose personal or financial information to an unknown party.                                                                                                                                               
- Do not respond to unsolicited or suspicious job offers.