Child passport renewal applications can be mailed-in provided the applicant is:
- aged up to 15 years old and
- has held a previous passport
If your answer is yes to the above, please follow the guide below.
Note: If it is your first passport, first adult passport (over 18) or you are aged 16 or 17, you must lodge in person by appointment. See Full passport application
1. Complete your renewal application form online
- The application must be lodged within six months of completion.
2. Print and sign your application form
- Print your application on plain white A4 paper. Make sure your form has printed in full and isn't cut off at the top or bottom of the page. You may refer to printing your application form.
- Sign the form using black pen, within the signature box. Make sure there are no alterations or whiteout on the signature or the date.
- Children 10 years or older must provide a signature unless there is a medical reason or disability that prevents them from signing.
- Include minimum two passport photos, less than six months old. Refer to passport photo guidelines for more information.
- The back of one photo must be endorsed by the child’s guarantor, writing ‘This is a true photo of [the child’s full name]’ and signed in black pen.
- Do not attach the photos to the form as this may damage them
- Request a JPG/digital copy of applicant's passport photo from the photoshop
4. Parents proof of identity
- Copies of both parents’ identity documents that show their name, photo, signature and current address (Copies do not need to be certified)
- Name changes: If the current names of either parent on the passport are different to how they appear on the child’s birth certificate, please include certified documents that explain the change of name.
- A guarantor must sign section 11 of the application form. Remember the guarantor must also endorse the back of a passport photo by writing ‘This is a true photo of [the child’s full name]’ and signing in black pen. Refer here for more information on guarantor requirements. Please ensure the guarantor is not related to the applicant or family.
- Parental Consent is required for a child passport. Parents who are giving consent must sign section 15 of the form in front of a witness. Ensure both parts of A & B are filled in. Witness cannot be related to you or reside at your home address.
7. Lodge your application
Option 1: Mail your application to us
- Mail your completed application form, passport photos, and supporting documents to:
Australian Consulate General, Chennai
9th Floor, Express Chambers, Express Avenue, No 49, 50L
Whites Road, Royapettah, Chennai – 600014
- You will need to attach the following supporting documents:
- No original documents are required.
- Copies of both parents’ identity documents such as passports
- If the current names of either parent on the passport are different to how they appear on the child’s birth certificate, please include certified documents that explain the change of name
- Local address proof of one of the parents
- On receipt of your complete application, we will call and share a link with you through email to make payment.
- Include a self-addressed envelope (preferably size A5) for return of your passport
- Ensure your local contact number is stated on the envelope
Option 2: Lodge in person by appointment
- Book an appointment online
- You will need to bring the following original documents along with the application and photos:
- Current passport
- Original Birth certificate
- Original citizenship certificate (if applicable)
- Original Indian address proof – can be an Aadhar card, Driver’s licence, Bank Passbook
- At least one parent’s Australian passport or another photo ID.
- You will need to make payment at time of appointment via bank transfer, Visa or Credit card.
8. We'll tell you when your passport is ready
- Please allow a minimum of 25 business days to process the application from when we receive your payment.
- We will email you when your passport has arrived at the Consulate for you to collect, or when we have posted it to your local address. We are unable to post passports outside of India.