The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provides help to Australians who find themselves in trouble overseas. This support is known as consular services.
If you require consular assistance while in India you can contact the Australian Consulate-General in Chennai, the Australian High Commission in New Delhi or the Australian Consulate-General in Mumbai on the numbers given below.
- If you are overseas, you can be connected to the Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) or given a reverse-charge number to call by telephoning the Australian diplomatic mission in the country you are visiting.
- You can access addresses and telephone numbers of Australian diplomatic missions in local telephone directories, hotels, tourist offices or police stations, or on the DFAT website and in our travel advisories for each country.
- The CEC can also assist concerned family members in Australia and can be contacted for information and advice.
- You can access full range of travel information from the Smartraveller website to help you prepare for overseas travel
- Our travel advice assesses the level of risk in a particular destination so that you can make informed decisions about where and when to travel overseas.
In Chennai, consular services are provided on weekdays between, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, excluding public holidays. To book an appointment with the consular officer, please contact + 91 44 4592 1300.
In New Delhi, consular services are provided on weekdays, between 9.00 am until 12.00 noon and 2.00 pm until 4.00 pm, except on public holidays. Telephone enquiries on +91 11 41399900 will be answered between 8.30 am-1.00 pm and from 2.00 pm-5.00 pm Monday to Friday.
In Mumbai, consular services are provided on weekdays between, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, excluding public holidays. To book an appointment for passport and notarial services please contact +91 22 67574900 and the receptionist will connect you to the consular officer.
DFAT also provides Australians with emergency consular services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can contact the Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 within Australia or +61 2 6261 3305 from outside Australia or SMS +61 421 269 080.