Passport interviews are conducted at the Australian Consulate-General in Chennai from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. Interview slots are allocated by appointments only. To book an appointment please call + 91 44 4592 1300.
Applicants must lodge their Australian Passport Application in person at the Australian Consulate-General. Applications are not accepted by post.
The following fees will apply:
- 10-year passport for persons aged 16 and over $277
- 5-year passport for children under 16 years $139
- 5-year passport option for persons aged 75 and over $139
- Frequent traveller passport1 $407
- Emergency passport overseas $175
Additional fees and services
- Priority service2 $183
- Overseas surcharge - adult applicant $103
- Overseas surcharge - child applicant $52
- Observation made after passport issue $15
Other travel document applications
- Document of identity $72
- Certificate of identity $175
- Convention Travel Document (Titre de Voyage) $175
1. For 10 - year passports only and subject to availability
2. Available to eligible clients in Australia and London only
Methods of Payment
- At Australia Post - EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa or Cash
- At a passport office - EFTPOS, MasterCard or Visa only
- Overseas - in most cases, you will be required to pay an equivalent amount in local currency. Contact the Australian diplomatic mission or consulate where you will lodge your application for details. Fees are subject to annual indexation. No GST is payable on passport fees.
Start online at www.passports.gov.au
Child applicants aged 16 or 17 will be issued with a 10-year passport instead of the five-year passport currently issued to children under 18. Applications must still include parental consent, and they must be personally lodged by the applicant together with a parent. The application fee will be the same as for adults, reflecting the longer validity of the passport to be issued. For applications lodged overseas, the child surcharge will also apply.
Fees are payable in Indian Rupees only and must be paid by cash / card or by Demand Draft in favour of "Australian Consulate General-Chennai Official account".