Welcome to the Australian Consulate-General in Chennai
This office is responsible for Australia’s Interests in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and the Union Territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Puducherry.
This website will provide information on the various activities and services of the Australian Consulate-General in Chennai.
Passport Fees from 1 January 2017
In line with the annual CPI indexation and fee increases announced in the Government's 2016-17 Budget. From 1 January 2017 the following fees will apply:
- 10-year passport for persons aged 16 and over $277
- 5-year passport for children under 16 years $139
- 5-year passport option for persons aged 75 and over $139
- Frequent traveller passport1 $407
- Emergency passport overseas $175
Additional fees and services
- Priority service2 $183
- Overseas surcharge - adult applicant $103
- Overseas surcharge - child applicant $52
- Observation made after passport issue $15
Other travel document applications
- Document of identity $72
- Certificate of identity $175
- Convention Travel Document (Titre de Voyage) $175
1. For 10 - year passports only and subject to availability
2. Available to eligible clients in Australia and London only
Methods of Payment
- At Australia Post - EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa or Cash
- At a passport office - EFTPOS, MasterCard or Visa only
- Overseas - in most cases, you will be required to pay an equivalent amount in local currency. Contact the Australian diplomatic mission or consulate where you will lodge your application for details. Fees are subject to annual indexation. No GST is payable on passport fees.
Start online at www.passports.gov.au
Notarial service fee to increase from 1 January 2017
Following recommendations from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Functional and the Efficiency Review, Notarial service fees increased with effect from 1 January 2017.
Notarial service fees have not increased in 16 years.
The new fee schedule takes into account the annual rate of inflation in Australia since fees were last increased, the growing cost of delivering notarial services and rising demand. The new fee schedule aligns with notarial service fees charged by commercial providers. The fee for notarial services accepted overseas will be in the local currency (Indian rupees) equivalent.
From 2018 onwards, notarial service fees will increase annually in line with the Consumer Price Index published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
For some services there are free alternatives available to clients, such as witnessing of documents by medical practitioners or police officers.
Notarial service fees from 1 January 2017 ($AUD)
The Consulate is open from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday through Friday, excluding public holidays.
Passport interviews will be held at the Consulate between 9.30 am and 4.30 pm Monday to Friday by appointment only. To book an appointment please call +91 44 4592 1300.
Public Holidays - 2017
||New Year’s Day (in lieu)
||Pongal (in lieu)
||Republic Day/Australia Day
||Good Friday/Tamil New Year
||Id ul Fitr*
||Gandhi Jayanthi/Labour Day
*Id ul Fitr subject to change as based on Islamic lunar sighting.
Emergency Contact for Australians
For Australians in distress, please call the Australian Consulate-General consular section on +91 44 4592 1300. If it is outside of business hours or if you are having difficulty getting through to the Consulate-General, contact the Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) in Canberra directly on +61 2 6261 3305 or by SMS on +61 421 269 080. The CEC may also assist concerned family members in Australia and can be contacted on 1300 555 135 (within Australia).
Australian Consulate-General in Chennai
Express Chambers, Express Avenue
49, 50L Whites Road
Chennai 600 014
Tel: +91 44 4592 1300
Fax: +91 44 4592 1320
Email: (General Queries) firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to be informed of any upcoming events and initiatives organised by the Australian Consulate-General kindly send us an email to the email address mentioned above with your contact details.
The Australian Consulate-General in Chennai does not provide any assistance with regards to Australian visas or Australian citizenship applications which are processed in New Delhi by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.